F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 00:38:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 05:01:43AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> Why do you think that a complete new file like this would be read by
>>> more people than the better known release notes which already has a
>>> section specific to upgrades?
>>
>> I guess it's a habit from FreeBSD.  Everyone knew that it should be read
>> before updating.
>
> Yes, but very few people have such prior knowledge and the audience for
> Fedora is different. A lot of people know they "should" read release
> notes but don't anyway or miss out changes or the impact of those
> changes.

That's a very valid point.  I was offering it as a sample suggestion.
What I do, myself, is when I come across such things that affect me, is
usually put up a page, which, judging from various emails I get, people
do find helpful.

> That's pretty much what we do with the release notes. A big reason why I
> contribute to the release notes is because I was tired of explaining the
> same changes to everybody trying a new release.
>
> Also release notes is written in the wiki, converted into docbook and
> following the documentation team process including translations into
> dozens of languages. A separate text file just splinters the process.

Agreed.  Again, it was a suggestion of a possible solution, but as you
point out, the audience is quite different.

> At any rate, if you believe this is useful and willing to make it
> happen, feel free to post to fedora-docs list. Despite my doubts on this
> suggestion, if it turns to be more effective, that would be a good thing.

Actually, you've more or less talked me out of it.  :)

Which puts me back in the list of people who don't follow release notes
as closely as I might.

It's easier, in many ways, with FreeBSD, because of the separation
between 3rd party programs and the base system.  For instance, anything
concerning xorg is under one group, samba is another, etc. etc.

I really don't have the perfect solution--there probably isn't one,
again, due to the nature of Fedora which changes so quickly.

The biggest problem for someone like you, who takes on the extremely
daunting task of writing release notes, is, how to judge which are major
and which are minor changes, especially when you have to write up 20 at
a time.

I do think most of us realize this.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

(After finding Spike outside her house.)
Buffy: What are you doing here, Spike? Five words or less!
Spike: (counting on fingers) Out... for... a... walk... bitch.