system-config-network activate on boot doesn't

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Sat Oct 11 01:38:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 05:34:18PM -0700, David L wrote:
> I missed or wasn't prompted for setting a static IP address during
> install.  I tried to change from DHCP to static after install using
> system-config-network.  But even though I have checked the
> box that says "Activate device when computer starts", eth0
> is not active after boot.  I have to go into system-config-network
> and activate it each time.  Should I file a bugzilla report or is
> this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?

The installer does not offer this screen anymore.  NetworkManager is enabled
by default.  The network configuration settings you use during installation
are written to ifcfg-DEVICE files on the target system with NM_CONTROLLED=yes
so the devices are controlled by NetworkManager.

If you want to use the network service instead of NetworkManager, the only way
to set that up during installation is by using a kickstart file.

NetworkManager by default is the direction we are wanting systems to go.  If
something doesn't work with NetworkManager, we should make it work.  You can
have static configured interfaces with NetworkManager too, even using ifcfg
files if you prefer those.

For system-config-network, I think it should see NM_CONTROLED in the ifcfg
file and stop/start the NetworkManager service rather than the network
service.  Or the network service should be modified to talk to NetworkManager
if NM_CONTROLLED is found.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI