/dev/snd/* permissions/ownership incorrect

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Sat Oct 11 20:55:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Dennis J. wrote:
>> Since I updated to the latest packages in koji a few days ago the device
>> nodes in /dev/snd/* no longer seem to have the right ownership/permissions
>> which causes audio playback through alsa to fail. Doing a "chmod o+rw
>> /dev/snd/*" makes audio work again.
>>
>> What package is responsible for setting this up correctly so I can file bug
>> against it?
>
> My guess would be ConsoleKit

Yes and no. In past this happend to several sound cards too, root cause
was that kernel /sys structure had changed, the HAL was not able to find
the hardware, and the sound devices were not set correctly. CosoleKit
takes the info from HAL, which is not aware of the card and does not set
the permissions. Quick try: lshal | grep alsa

> Rahul

Adam Pribyl