Anyone else seeing a stutter in gnome using rawhide

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Mon Oct 13 14:25:37 UTC 2008

On 10/13/2008 02:06 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> If, for example, I'm typing, the text will stop appearing for second (or
>> so) and then all the letters I've typed over that time appear.
>>
>> Add to this that the icons on the desktop will disappear, and then
>> reappear.  This usually happens at the end of the pause.
>
> I've certainly noticed the pauses. I haven't seen the icon behavior.
>
> My impression is that keyboard and mouse handling has somehow become vastly
> lower priority than disk IO processing. I've noticed when running "yum update"
> I'll see the interactive pauses right at the same time each new rpm is
> finished downloading or installing. (This is on a system with USB keyboard
> and mouse and SATA disks).

I've been wondering about this for some time now but I was not really sure
if this was a real problem with the system or just a perception issue.
Whenever disk I/O occurs this seems to impact the interactive behavior of
other applications quite considerably. In some cases I see apps locking up
for up to two or three seconds because a second process accesses the disk.

Regards,
   Dennis