GNOME woes on the XO / A modest proposal

Steven Salevan ssalevan at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 15:50:09 UTC 2008

Hey guys,
At the moment, it appears that GNOME is borderline dysfunctional on my
XO, despite applying the recommended speed fixes (creating a persistent
overlay, turning off swappiness).  On runlevel 3, the box seems to be
stable and at least usable, but if I switch over to runlevel 5, I cannot
use the box for more than about 3 minutes without receiving a kernel
panic that leads to a total system freeze.  Alas, this panic is not
logged to any system log, but I'll be connecting up a serial console
over the next day or two get it off of the system and into a new BZ.

Outside of the panic issue, how goes GNOME testing for everyone else on
the list?  For the few minutes that the device actually works, the
system seems to crawl along at glacial speeds, taking over a minute to
bring up simple tools such as the Appearance preferences configurator.
Firefox takes more time to load than the box has before reaching the
aforementioned system freeze.

So...  if my hunch is right, and I fear it is, I don't know if 2.5
weeks' worth of testing is going to ensure that we ship a functional
GNOME-laden version of F10.  From what I've read and heard, the plan is
to maintain a sizeable swap space on the SD card, as the 256MB of
built-in RAM alone is not sufficient to run GNOME, which will wear out
the card in time along with limiting available space (especially if
we're leaning on shipping the 2G card with each XO).

This might be a controversial viewpoint, and if so, so be it, but I
wonder if we shouldn't change our focus to a more lightweight window
manager such as XFCE.  There's already been work performed to this effect:

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/fedora-xo;a=summary

GNOME may indeed be more familiar to users, but what use is familiarity
if there's no functionality?  At least XFCE can run comfortably on the
limited resources of the XO, allowing us to focus on the issues that we
can indeed address in the limited time we have.  What do you guys think?
-Steve Salevan
ssalevan at redhat.com