vmware VM with kernel 2.6.27-1

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Oct 14 01:15:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 15:39 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 18:03 +0200, Bruno GARDIN wrote:
> > Michael i am following the bugzilla  466071 on this problem but there
> > is no obvious bypass (as far as i understand). What do you suggest as
> > the simplest one ?
>
> 	What I would recommend for the moment is to boot into a working kernel
> and edit /sbin/mkinitrd and go to line 1411 or there about and change:

> 	wait_for_scsi="no"

> 	wait_for_scsi="yes"

> 	Then rebuild your initrd like this:

> 	mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.6.27-3.fc10.i686.img 2.6.27-3.fc10.i686

> 	This may not be the final solution.  This is just a workaround to force
> wait_for_scsi for all initrd builds.  That may be suboptimal in the long
> run but necessary here for now.

	From the discussion in bugzilla, there's now another option (and a
half).

	If you use the option --with=scsi_wait_scan with mkinitrd, it should do
almost the same thing.  It should achieve the same result just slightly
differently.

	The half option is the same option just another way.  It's the fact
that this you can stick into /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd as follows:

MODULES=scsi_wait_scan

	So now you don't have to modify the mkinitrd script and you don't have
to specify it explicitly on the command line either.

> 	Mike

	Mike