Testers - Reports against PulseAudio ( PA )

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Oct 14 08:09:22 UTC 2008

When we held the test day on 9.Okt, we put together bunch of tips
related to PA ( see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/2008-10-09 )

Pay very good attention to the bug report section
if followed it will avoid bugs being set to NEEDINFO status.
*
*These are the highlights...
*
General Debugging tips.

Start by adding your user to the pulse-rt group. *

/su -c '/usr/sbin/usermod -a -G pulse-rt <username>'/

*You will need to logout and in again for it to take effect! *

*Then kill PA. *

/pulseaudio -k/

*You do this as a regular user not root!*

*Start pulseaudio verbose mode *

/pulseaudio -vvvv/

*Ensure the volume is up and unmuted using either:*
/
alsamixer

pavucontrol
//
alsamixer -c0 (to bypass PA) /
*
Check if there are any */$HOME/.asoundrc*/*' files present that might be
customizing your sound preferences?*

*Check if there are any sound-related messages present in
*/var/log/messages* or */dmesg /*

When filing the bug report....*

*Include the */URL/* generated by *

/http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-driver.git;a=blob_plain;f=utils/alsa-info.sh
/
/
su -c 'smoltSendProfile -a'/

*Include output of.. *
/
aplay -L/

/pulseaudio -vvvv /

"ls" *inside of* "/pacmd/"
*
If you found CPU load related issues, please include oprofile dumps in
your bug report. *
/See the cheat sheet: http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/docs//
*
For crashes include a full backtrace. *

JBG

Ps.
      There will be another test day held on the 16th where we will be
focusing our testing
      effort against Better lirc support and Security Audit.