Fedora 10 + Nvidia 6100 go fails with proprietary drivers

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 13:25:57 UTC 2008

2008/10/14 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I installed Fedora 10 beta on HP tx1000 and everything worked out of
>> the box except wireless because it is broacom :( I fixed that with
>>
>> This is my first Nvidia laptop that I have worked on in last few years
>> (all I have worked on have Intel video chips) so I'm not sure what to
>> expect from Nvidia proprietary drivers (and sorry for posting about
>> non open source stuff here).
>>

> Nothing to be sorry about just dont expect any help/answers about
> the proprietary drivers.

ok, thanks. I only hoped that somebody has the experience with Nvidia
because I lack it, as I said, so I don't know what to expect.

>> I installed latest kmod-nvidia drivers from livna-development repo but
>> after reboot I don't get to the GDM :(
>>

> File a bug report at NVIDIA or post at their forum etc..

I posted here first becase I felt that it could be a bit early for
that, I would like to be sure, then I will post a bug, not a problem.

>> I looked at Xorg.0.log and it says that it can't initialise display...
>>
>> Is there something broken in Nvidia drivers so that they aren't
>> supossed to work on Fedora 10 beta or do the Nvidia proprietary
>> drivers work for others but not only for me?
>>

> Only Nvidia can answer that or help you fix it if it's broken.
>
> Not sure on how many testers are using/testing the nvidia drivers
>
> I personally prefer and use the nv driver on my laptop that has
> F10 installed and it works.
>
> Do you have any issue using the nv driver?

I tried enabling "Desktop effects" and that only brings a white screen :(

I heard from my other friends with Nvidia on ubuntu how compiz works
perfectly only on Nvidia...

Cheers,
Valent.

--