GNOME woes on the XO / A modest proposal

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 16:20:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 12:00 -0400, Ty wrote:

>>> Have you actually tested Xfce on XO to see if it performs better?
>>
>> it performs a ton better, i followed these directions:
>> http://bc.tech.coop/blog/080130.html
>
> ... and congratulations, you've tested something which is entirely
> different.
>
> The big problem *ISN'T* GNOME vs XFCE.  The problem is the (large) hit
> we take on performance with squashfs decompression.  So with the snap1
> images, things have been changed a bit so that we can instead use the
> ext3fs and take decompression out of it.  Which makes an impressive
> amount of difference

This implies that we need to make it *extremely* clear that people should
now be testing snap1 with the modified LiveCD tools, per the note that Mr.
Laska just sent to the list.

Is this right?  If we all agree, we should probably make a ton of noise
about it to make sure that everyone is on the same page.

--g