GNOME woes on the XO / A modest proposal

Josh Bressers bressers at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 17:59:13 UTC 2008

----- "Jeremy Katz" <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> The big problem *ISN'T* GNOME vs XFCE.  The problem is the (large)
> hit
> we take on performance with squashfs decompression.  So with the
> snap1
> images, things have been changed a bit so that we can instead use the
> ext3fs and take decompression out of it.  Which makes an impressive
> amount of difference

I'm running the new snap1 image without compression, and I'm not seeing a huge difference.  It is a bit snappier, but unless I do some surgery, it still freezes once all the RAM is consumed.

I would say as for performance, on a scale of 1 to 10, you've gone from perhaps a 3 to a 4.  The gains I see aren't all that spectacular, especially considering all the folks with 2 Gig cards are SOL now.

--
    JB