Anyone else seeing a stutter in gnome using rawhide

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Oct 14 18:34:10 UTC 2008

Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> I get stutters in gnome while using rawhide.
>
> If, for example, I'm typing, the text will stop appearing for second (or
> so) and then all the letters I've typed over that time appear.
>
> Add to this that the icons on the desktop will disappear, and then
> reappear.  This usually happens at the end of the pause.
>
> Anyone else seen this, and more importantly any ideas what might be
> causing it and what package to file a bug against.
>
> I should have said something earlier.  I've noticed this for some time,
> but I just assumed it was so obvious that it would be fixed quickly.
>
> Oh, I've seen the problem three times while typing this email.  (about 2
> minutes of typing)

Humm... I'm using xemacs, and that one "looses" the cursor (it stays put on
screen, while moving through the file; or dissapears altogether or shows
only as a 1-pixel high line), and the screen refresh lags behind sometimes
(i.e., using mh-e when scrolling the window with the message headers
doesn't scroll the last line until some time later, if at all). xpdf is
also misbehaving, in that paging forward or scrolling updates most of the
screen, but a narrow band at the top and a wide one (varies, from somewhat
less than 1/2 screen to around 1/3 or a character height) at the bottom
isn't updated, or only updated later.

I've been on rawhide on this x86_64 dual core machine from its beginnings
(July or so), intel graphics.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513