Grub and Plymouth

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 19:52:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 09:37 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> This is normal.  If you want the grub menu, hold down shift (or any
> other key really).

Well, at least some text suggesting that you might do so would be good,
I thing

> That's the text plugin, yes.  It's not going to progress "smoothly",
> it's ascii art.  We were hoping KMS support would land for Intel chips
> for F10 but it looks like that's not going to happen.

On a similar note, I noticed the progress bar finishes long before the
boot process (I think somewhere around the time services start to
start). This isn't an expected behaviour from user point of view.
Actually it is pretty weird... I've installed readahead (not sure though
if it is enabled, or how to enable it if not) and disabled some unneeded
services which resulted in the progress bar showing up incomplete for
about only a third of the boot process (and completing really fast).
When I look at the real progress after the progress bar is already
finished, I see services starting.

Martin