Grub and Plymouth

cornel panceac cpanceac at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 12:56:16 UTC 2008

2008/10/14 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>

> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 09:37 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > This is normal.  If you want the grub menu, hold down shift (or any
> > other key really).
> >
> Well, at least some text suggesting that you might do so would be good,
> I thing

+1
could be something like:
"<label> is starting in <x> seconds" on top
and
"press any key to see the boot menu" on bottom ...

not telling the user what's goin' on, sounds like windows to me.
( i actually had one system with windows xp wich for unknown reasons stayed
at black screen for 30 minutes or more before starting :) )

> > That's the text plugin, yes.  It's not going to progress "smoothly",
> > it's ascii art.  We were hoping KMS support would land for Intel chips
> > for F10 but it looks like that's not going to happen.
> >
> On a similar note, I noticed the progress bar finishes long before the
> boot process (I think somewhere around the time services start to
> start). This isn't an expected behaviour from user point of view.
> Actually it is pretty weird... I've installed readahead (not sure though
> if it is enabled, or how to enable it if not) and disabled some unneeded
> services which resulted in the progress bar showing up incomplete for
> about only a third of the boot process (and completing really fast).
> When I look at the real progress after the progress bar is already
> finished, I see services starting.
>
> Martin
>
> --

Linux counter #213090