f10beta frozen screen of death

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 18:54:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM, David L <idht4n at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two different f10beta systems that intermittently hang.  They
> appear completely
> frozen.  The X screen freezes, the mouse pointer is visible but
> doesn't move.  The
> keyboard lock lights are unaffected by pressing the lock buttons.
> REISUB doesn't work
> (or at least I don't think it does... I might have pressed the wrong
> keys).  This problem did
> not happen in f9 and it happens every few hours of use in f10beta
> (updated yesterday).
>
> The systems share little in common other than being x86's.  One of
> them is one of
> those original Via Lindows boxes Walmart sold several years ago.  The other is a
> Dell Precision 380 with ATI video.
>
> Is there any productive information I can provide on this problem?

I have this problem as well, except it doesn't happen if I don't log
in.  I've been using ssh from another computer and it works fine.
When I login and lock the screen, it will freeze around the 2 hour
mark.  I don't know that for a fact, but it seems about the right
time.  I also believe that it will respond to pings, but I won't swear
to it.  I've got the power mgmt settings set to put the screen to
sleep after 15 minutes and set to Never suspend the machine.    I've
been meaning to turn off display sleep, but haven't tried it yet.

I'm using an update F10 Snap 1 release on x86_64.
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_40f59bc4-1c21-470b-88bc-1aeefda634b4