Good Riddance to Intel DG45ID Mobo

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 06:20:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
<caf at omen.com> wrote:
> I took the DG45ID back to Fry's and got an MAS p43ne03.

Amen!

> The p43neo3 works much better with Rawhide.

Did you have a feeling "it would just work", or did you research it to
find out the specs, etc?

> I new have 32 bit Rawhide running on the MSI mobo
> with an Nvidia Geforce 9600GT and Nvidia's driver.
> Compiz works again.  The sound works normally
> as the ALC888 sound chip does not require software
> to designate input and output jacks.

Somewhat OT: any audio experts out there that saw this coming? I never
knew it was even possible, and searching has not provided me with
anything, even the mobo's site mentions nothing about selective
input/output on the same jack!
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dg45id/dg45id-overview.htm

> The board has 6 SATA jacks on the ich10 chip.
> A JMicro chip adds two more SATA and an IDE.

Nice! (Though, seriously, of what practical use is 8 SATA devices, and
how would they connect?)

> Note that Ubuntu 8.04 cannot see the first six SATA
> devices.

Hmm, kernel version vs. rawhide's maybe?

jerry

--
There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".