MSI P43neo3 Motherboard

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Thu Oct 16 15:18:00 UTC 2008

I exchanged the DG45ID with an MSI P43neo3 motherboard.
It has two PS2 and one IDE connector so I could use what I
wanted.  It also has FOUR PCI connectors, so I can experiment
with multiple sound cards and TV capture.  No point in throwing
out my collection of PCI cards just yet.

8 SATA ports is not an incredible number as I have a collection of
older (smaller) SATA drives in the box and now a SATA DVD.

Be advised that updating the BIOS may be a problem without
Windows and/or a floppy disk.  (I forgot to mention that the
Intel DG45ID has no floppy connector either!).

The MSI board get along with FC10 just fine.  Some older
versions may have problems with SATA drives on the
ICH10, especially with the older BIOS that came with the board.
I had to use a USB ROM drive to install Ubuntu 8.04.

The gigabit ethernet on the MSI motherboard has some issues.
Once or twice it wouldn't work with Windows XP until I
rebooted.  Ubuntu 8.04 DHCP wouldn't work in install,
but it did work with manual IP settings.

Right now I am about to open up the box to see which fan
isn't hushed, so I'll send this off first in case I break something.

--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665