sizes of yum metadata files

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Oct 17 20:24:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:21:07PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 13:14 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > These files used to show up compressed with gzip.  It does not
> > seem to be the case for some time.  With sizes like
> >
> > 37M 0dc08d372184e56c71a32b6abbd6fbdd8eedfd3d-primary.sqlite
> > 65M b860206f9cc245151e10625c725c8c2eb0145c31-filelists.sqlite
> >
> > this makes a substantial difference on slower connections and not
> > everybody has T1.  A disk space starts to add up too.  Was this
> > change deliberate?  Even a default gzip compression shaves between
> > 70 and 80 percent of these.
>
> What repo are you seeing these in?

Hm.  I did not pay attention and now this information is gone.
Will look closer next time.  Of course no guarantees that I will
get the same mirror.

> those files are bzipped in the repo and decompressed and left
> decompressed in your local cache dir.

Do they have to be decompressed?  With one rawhide repo this is not
that much.  Once you have few of these, plus "testing", plus some
"debuginfo" for at least some of repos, it will be much harder not
to notice that on your disk.

   Michal