Yum upgrade vs preupgrade - readahead etc

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Oct 19 15:03:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:04:12 +0100,
  Jonathan Roberts <jonrob at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> * Would the same problem occur if I'd used preupgrade?

I am not sure as I don't use preupgrade, but I would expect so for the case
where a package has been updated in F9 since the snapshot of rawhide you
used to do the yum upgrade.

> * How can identify missing packages/settings and add them to my
> current Fedora installation?

package-clean --orphans
Use the --oldpackage option to rpm to force an older version to be replaced.

> * Should this be considered a bug?

In general no (assuming you are going from F9 + Updates), but in some specific
cases it might be.