XO: Live and /tmp

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Oct 20 13:52:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 14:39 -0700, Nifty Fedora Mitch wrote:
> With the  F10-Snap1-i686-Live image I see
> that /tmp is tmpfs which has negative impact on
> RAM.

Not having it on tmpfs has the same memory implications.  Remember that
the "writable" area of the live image filesystem is handled by the
device-mapper snapshot.  And writing to those blocks for /tmp has worse
implications longer term

> Does it make sense to add a modest swap space partition
> to the flash SD card and build the image to test
> for and use it?

With Snap2, there's support for automatically enabling a swap file found
at LiveOS/swap.img and livecd-iso-to-disk can take a --swap-size-mb
argument (analagous to --home-size-mb)

Jeremy