Grub and Plymouth

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Oct 20 13:56:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 20:23 +0200, Adam Pribyl wrote:
> Today I however found one more problem with text based plymouth - this is
> when the system boot fails - e.g. because it is not able to mount root
> partition, then progress bar continues silently until the end and there
> is no way how to found what got wrong. Yes there is one - reboot and
> remove rhgb option in grub shell.. should I mention that when users asks
> me, that his Fedora is not booting, my first question is - where does the
> boot stop? With plymouth his answer will be useless, not to mention he is
> not able to find any reasonable help based on symptoms..

Failures to mount the rootfs and the like should be followed with a
plymouth --hide-splash so that the messages about the failure get
displayed.  If that's not the case right now[1], please file a bug
against mkinitrd

Jeremy

[1] For the live initrd case, I fixed things up the latter part of last week