Received your XO? Let us know!

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Oct 20 14:15:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 23:53 -0400, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Benjamin Reed wrote:
> > Jack Spaar wrote:
> >
> >> I see that Snap2 Live is out right now, including the KDE version:
> >> 	http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
> >
> > Cool, I'll give it a shot.
> >
> > There was supposed to be a new version of the script that did the swap
> > stuff and such, wasn't there?  Does anyone know if that's been updated?
>
> Ah, turns out the new script does do --swap-size-mb, it's just not in
> the --help.  ;)

Yes, I had intended to get something up mentioning this on Friday but my
laptop decided that it preferred hanging to life :-/   Anyway, posted
now (for those who haven't noticed, I've been trying to post updates on
my blog which is aggregated on the planet,
http://katzj.livejournal.com/tag/olpc and then jlaska or someone else
has been moving to the wiki)

> I've got the new snap set up, and I've gotta say, it's booting about a
> billion times slower than the old one.

I don't remember Snap2 being notably slower with the quick test I did on
Friday as Jesse was uploading torrents.  Thursday was definitely slower
because there were SELinux policy problems, but I think the image that
went up was from Friday which had those fixed.

>   livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --force --xo --overlay-size-mb 512 \
>     --swap-size-mb 512 F10-*.iso /dev/sdb1

If you've only got a 4 GB card, this might be a little over-optimistic
on sizing.  The rootfs takes 3 GB and then adding another GB.  I wonder
if you ended up with a truncated either swap or overlay file and are
seeing problems as a result.

Try a slightly smaller swap (I've been doing 256 because I have a couple
of diagnostic tools + rpms on my SD card as well) and see if that helps?

Jeremy