Yum upgrade vs preupgrade - readahead etc

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 20 15:39:43 UTC 2008

2008/10/20 Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com>:
> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 10:04 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>> After yum upgrading my way to F10 from F9, the experience as already
>> reported was pretty painless. The only problem is that some packages,
>> key to Fedora 10 features, do not get picked up with the update. e.g.
>> readahead, and grub doesn't seem to have been updated either.
>>
>> A few questions:
>>
>> * Would the same problem occur if I'd used preupgrade?
>
> The bootloader gets reinstalled on upgrade (via preupgrade or just a
> usual anaconda upgrade).  New packages, though, don't get pulled in
> because it's too hard to tell _which_ new packages someone might want.
> And even more the case with something like readahead which existed in
> the past.

I'm not particularly knowledgable about this, so it's a bit of a shot
in the dark but...

Would it be possible to reference some kind of package manifest that
defines the default package set of a release from preupgrade? It could
then compare the currently installed packages to that list,
upgrade/reinstall packages that are on both lists, and install
packages that are only on the new package manifest?

There's probably a million reasons why that's a bad idea, but I'd be
interested to hear a couple of them at least...

Jon