Laptop locks up on F10 beta

Chris chris1.noreply at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 21 09:43:31 UTC 2008

Hi test list,

I'm having big problems with F10 beta in that it causes my laptop to lock up.

I installed from the Live CD as I read that there were problems
installing from the normal installation media. After installing, the
first problem I encountered was that the initial welcome screens
(where you create a user, set date and time etc...) were not displayed
correctly in that the resolution was incorrect and the Back/Forward
buttons were off the screen so I could not find where to click them. I
resolved this by adding the "nomodeset" option to the kernel boot
args.

After that, the screen went black and the system locked up, I couldn't
get to a command line, caps lock didn't work. I rebooted with default
kernel args and it came up OK. Now I can log in, connect to a wireless
network and do most things but there seem to be some serious issues
with gnome or X. If I start gnome-terminal it works fine but if I try
to resize a window, the system locks up again.

Things get even worse if I try to update to the latest rawhide. If I
do so, the system fails to boot. The loading screen is shown with the
animated infinity symbol but then the animation freezes and I can't do
anything. I think it gets quite a long way through the boot before
failing. I was also finding that Escape wasn't showing me the boot
process so I don't know where it failed.

I've since re-installed the F10 beta so that I could upload my smolt
profile for your information. It is here:

http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_e4a528ee-3a0a-47fd-8687-51b37f5382b0

Any thought about how I can go about figuring out what the problem is?
The fact that it reliably freezes when I resize a window suggests an X
or gnome problem. I might try installing xfce now to see if I have the
same problems with a different window manager.

Ah, some more information, Fedora 7 used to work fine on my laptop but
I never managed to get F8 or F9 working. The symptoms were similar in
that lockups occurred but they were usually before I could even log in
to a desktop manager.

Thanks, Chris.