Sound and F10 release

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Oct 21 19:38:10 UTC 2008

On 10/21/2008 06:34 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Dennis J. wrote:
>
>> It's obvious that the specific interaction between pulseaudio and alsa is
>> the problem in these cases but if neither of the stakeholders feel
>> particular responsible for addressing the issue then I don't see how this
>> will ever get resolved.
>
> Personally, I've not seen any dismissing of responsibility, and leveling
> such claims doesn't seem constructive to me.

I filed bug #428537 when my card stopped working after an PA update and
that report got dismissed with "There's something wrong with your ALSA. Try
if upgrading ALSA fixes your problems." by the PA maintainer. It didn't and
I pointed that out but got no further response.

That sounds fairly dismissive to me.

> I can understand the frustration (ie, "fix it now!"), but fixing such issues
> is often complex, and doing it properly is the only sane way forward.

I didn't say "fix it now!" and my point is precisely that these bugs cannot
be fixed if there is nobody to report them to. If the PA maintainers
immediately dismiss this as an alsa problem an there is really no decent
bug that can be filed against alsa because alsa by itself works just fine
then how am I supposed to report issues like these?

Given that these problem deal with the interaction of two different
subsystems I would like to see the maintainers of these subsystems to come
to some kind of understanding what to do in these cases. If the PA guys
want to deal with this fine, if the ALSA guys want to deal with this fine
too but right now there seems to be nobody to go to for this stuff.

Regards,
   Dennis