Unsure if bug.

Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 03:33:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 08:49 -0500, Christopher D. Stover wrote:
> Hi Frank.  I'm a little confused by your problem.  The error you're getting
> now means: "This error message will occur if the Stage 2 or Stage 1.5 is
> being read from a hard disk, and the attempt to determine the size and
> geometry of the hard disk fails."  What do you mean by it "Will attempt to
> boot"?  Do you have an IDE hard drive you're using separate from your two
> SATA drives?  I'm guessing this is less of a bug and more a configuration
> problem with your HDs/BIOS/GRUB.
>
> Chris

Scenario A

1: In the box there is inbuilt the 2 usual ide 1 & 2 controllers. (2
disks, 160gb each)

2: The inbuilt sata  raid controller ( 2 disks: sata2, 160gb each)
3: an add-in ide raid controller (2 disks, 320gb each)
4: 1 external USB-CDrom

If OS is installed to 1:, with 2: disabled in bios, it will boot
normally, as soft raid md0

Bios boot order: 1:a, 1:b.  (3: mounted as md3)

Scenario B
(Numerals: as above)

If I enable 2:
and install as md0 (previous md0 [1:] having been wiped)
I get the grub error.

With bios boot set to: 2:a, 2:b.

Any combination of install,
with the internal sata controller enabled fails to boot.

ie: install 1: as md0, plus 2: as md1 (file-store)

Have tried manually changing grub.conf to boot (hd0,0) to other
combinations, to no avail.

Booting from livecd (F10 snap 1+2) shows all six drives.
and four if 2:(inbuilt sata) is disabled

Including

Frank