rawhide report: 20081023 changes

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Thu Oct 23 17:28:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:06:18 +0200, zachpowers wrote:

> after using yum to update (10/23) i have a problem.
>
> rebooting leaves me stuck on a blank screen that says only "GRUB" and has a pulsing cursor. If I use a livecd and mount my boot partition I see what looks to be a correct set of files including grub.conf and the vmlinuz of for the new kernel.
>
> which package could be the culprit?

The kernel package's postinstall script, which runs /sbin/new-kernel-pkg
(from mkinitrd pkg) to reinstall GRUB (instead of just editing grub.conf).

AFAIK it's not reproducible. It's in Bugzilla several times most likely.
For example: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/432555

What seems to happen is that in some run-time environments under special
circumstances the reinstallation of GRUB is not successful. Collecting
data about the affected systems might be helpful.