rawhide report: 20081023 changes

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Oct 23 17:39:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 07:06:18PM +0200, zachpowers wrote:
> after using yum to update (10/23) i have a problem.
>
> rebooting leaves me stuck on a blank screen that says only "GRUB"
> and has a pulsing cursor.

In such case you did not really start booting yet.  It looks that
you are not getting stage2 loaders and/or grub menu.

> If I use a livecd and mount my boot
> partition I see what looks to be a correct set of files including
> grub.conf and the vmlinuz of for the new kernel.

Then you can reinstall grub the same way it was installed in the
first place and hopefuly this will solve the issue.

> which package could be the culprit?

You are not far enough to talk about packages unless something
scribbled over your boot sector.  Do you have more than one disk?
Maybe something confused BIOS about disk ordering?  It is difficult
to imagine what that may be.  Even in such case writing a new boot
sector should help.

BTW - did you power down before trying to reboot?  If you have
a shadow copy of BIOS in memory and this got messed up somehow
this may cause what you are seeing.

   Michal