Actually using Fedora on your XO

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 18:22:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 18:11 +0000, Jack Spaar wrote:
> At this point, I'm a little nervous about whether F10 itself, even after
> our best efforts, is on track to be usable as part of the upcoming G1G1
> offering.  In particular, every version of F10 has been unusable for me
> *except* the pre-hotdog olpc-gnome.iso, where I had no problem starting
> GNOME and pulling up Firefox and browsing around, without overlays or swap
> or special efforts to stop extraneous services.  I'm wondering what
> differences there are between that version and the follow-ons that might
> explain this.  Squashfs vs. ext3 doesn't seem to account for it, but it's
> over my head in any case.

Keep in mind that this isn't going to be "everybody who gets a G1G1
machine is also going to be getting Fedora".  It's going to be an option
that's available for those that want to pursue it.

As far as overlay, swap, etc -- the plan as it stands right now is that
SD cards _as shipped_ pre-loaded will have an overlay and swap.  And on
any docs that go onto the OLPC site, we'll be pretty explicit with the
exact parameters that want to be used.

And with those and snap2, I've been reasonably running firefox and doing
a few things.  And I think that the performance matches pretty closely
to what I was seeing back on the far older images.

The biggest difference between the first image I posted and later ones
is that we're now using the regular Fedora kernel as opposed to a
one-off, OLPC-based, older kernel.  Which means not necessarily having
every Geode specific optimization as instead it's a kernel that's more
generically optimized.

Jeremy