DNS trouble using qemu host

Anotherone Foryou anotherone.foryou at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 02:45:38 UTC 2008

I've been attempting to install the latest Fedora 10 boot.iso and snapshots in two virtual machines, and am consistently running into a network problem. I'm using both VirtualBox 2.0.4 (Vista 64 host) and Qemu (Fedora 9 host) and I see the same problem in both environments. Both hosts have no network problem, and are running with disabled firewalls.

I've installed recent Ubuntu 8.10 betas, and these have to problems with net access, so I don't believe the problem is on the host side for the Vista nor the Fedora 9 machine.

I've disabled the guest Firewall (System->Administration->Firewall) and I've disabled SELinux (System->Administration->SELinux Management).

I'm starting the Fedora guest in qemu using:
# qemu-kvm -hda fedora.img -m 768 -net nic -net user

The installed guest cannot access the network, it seems because it cannot do DNS lookups. The result is that I cannot browse the web nor use yum to download rpm packages.

In trying to find the problem, I've found I can ping the host computer:
$ping 10.0.2.2
^C

but I can not ping the virtual machine host DNS server:
$cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 10.0.2.3

$ping 10.0.2.3
^C
--- 10.0.2.3 ping statistics ---
24 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 23871ms

I've tried restarting the Fedora 10 network:
#/etc/init.d/network restart

but that did not help.

Any idea what I can do to get a functioning network connection?

Thanks,
Jeremiah