Did Fedora-10 kill my computer?

Timothy Murphy tim at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Oct 26 21:52:17 UTC 2008

I have installed F10 on a couple of ThinkPad T43s, using a USB stick.
But when I tried this on a machine with an Asus motherboard
and AMD CPU, it seemed to run OK but then froze.

Since then, whenever I boot the computer, I get the message
"NO Keyboard Detected" and am invited to press F1.
As the keyboard does not work, the machine boots into
the default OS, which was Fedora.
Once it has booted the keyboard works fine.
I changed the default OS in grub.conf to Windows,
and that booted in the same way.
I thought at first I could never get back to Fedora,
as I cannot edit grub.conf in Windows.
However, a Knoppix CD booted fine,
so I can change back to Fedora as and when I wish.

But my question is, did running F10 cause this problem,
or was it a complete coincidence?

Note that it is quite difficult to deal with the problem,
as I cannot get into the BIOS since the keyboard does not work
until I have booted into Fedora or Windows.

I haven't spent much time trying to solve this problem,
as the machine runs fine once it starts.
I guess I will have a look at the CMOS battery,
and perhaps re-install the BIOS.
Any other suggestions gratefully received.