All these XO threads

Zenko Klapko Jr. covertcodeop1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:11:06 UTC 2008

I have both, an OLPC XO and a Asus EEE 2G surf model. The surf model
comes with more RAM, a larger hard drive, and twice the proc speed. On
the other had the XO battery life beats the EEE by a large margin.
Higher models of EEE come with a webcam, and I think they all come
with a built-in microphone and microphone jack.

Have to say I feel less like a doofus carrying around the EEE. Both
keyboards are small, but the EEE keyboard is slightly bigger. The EEE
has a monitor out and enough usb slots that you can turn the thing
into a docking station (which is normally how I use it for long
sessions).

-Zenko

On 10/27/08, Peter Larsen <plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 17:11 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> James Laska wrote:
>>
>> > The main reason for suggesting we communicate Fedora testing on the XO
>> > on this list was to build on the experiences of the already established
>> > fedora-test-list community.
>>
>> Slightly OT, but is the XO actually a good buy,
>> compared say with the EeePC ?
>
> It's not a PC like you're used to. Or at least, it's not something you
> do big compiles on, setup databases and webservers on. It's a low end
> system however it has some amazing features. Easy portable, great LCD in
> sunlight, rucked etc.
>
> I can see it as a powerful alternative to some PDAs when it comes to
> in-the-field operations.
>
>> I thought it was meant to poor countries.
>> Does the US now fall into this category?
>> Sorry.
>
> Unfortunately, the answer there is yes. At least in some parts; XO - or
> OLPC is about giving children that otherwise wouldn't have it, a chance
> to gain technology knowledge and there through general knowledge and
> learning. Skills they need to survive, get good jobs etc.
>
> OLPC is actually giving away XO's in some parts of the US. Tragic but
> true.
>
> --
> Peter Larsen <plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com>

--
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.