Plymouth on ATI and nVidia

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Tue Oct 28 14:53:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 16:28 +0200, cornel panceac wrote:

> 2008/10/28 Aioanei Rares <schaiba at gmail.com>
>

>         On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM, cornel panceac
>         <cpanceac at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>                 2008/10/28 Christopher A. Williams
>                 <chriswfedora at cawllc.com>
>
>                         I would never have noticed this, save for that
>                         I saw a Youtube video of
>                         it...
>
>                         On my ThinkPad T400, Plymouth doesn't launch
>                         the nice pretty GUI loader.
>                         Instead, I only get the text mode dark blue /
>                         light blue / white
>                         progress bar across the bottom. Then X loads
>                         and away we go from gdm.
>
>                         I realized that I have never seen Plymouth's
>                         "graphical glory" on any of
>                         the computers I've tried F10 on (I've always
>                         run the 64-bit version).
>                         These computers all have something in common:
>                         Either nVidia or ATI
>                         graphics cards.
>
>                         Is Plymouth supposed to support these? If so,
>                         I guess I can file a
>                         bugzilla on it.
>
>                 http://fedoramagazine.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/interview-fedora-10s-better-startup/
>
>                 worked for me on geforce 7300 gt.
>
>                 however, between plymouth and gdm the video ram is
>                 still garbage.
>

>                         Cheers,
>
>                         Chris
>
>                         --
>                         ====================================
>                         "Behind every double standard
>                         lies a single hidden agenda."
>
>                         --G. K. Chesterton
>

>         in F10?
>
> imho there should be an "if"  somewhere ....

OK - makes sense. My nVidia card is an onboard GeForce 7100 on my
desktop. I'm not sure which series ATI card is on this ThinkPad T400
yet, but it also as this auto-switchable graphics mode that goes between
"Internal" Intel graphics and "Discrete" ATI Graphics. The model is a
2765-T6U. I had to disable that feature in CMOS for any video to work at
all.

Cheers,

Chris

--