XO: Random Findings

Terry Stewart terry.stewart at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 04:51:55 UTC 2008

> On the display side of things, most of the fonts seem to be chopped in
> half and some buttons appear blacked out.  I can't seem to predict when
> either will occur, but both occur often.  Looked for settings to change
> the DPI as suggested, but I couldn't find any.

Check under System->Preferences->Look and Feel->Appearance->Fonts.
Turn on "subpixel smoothing" to get the font chopping to go away, and
then go to Details and set the resolution to 130 or so (whatever you
find most comfortable).

> I was going to play with some audio but my initial testing ended here
> with Power Management.  Basically, the XO just died :).  Fedora didn't
> detect it was running on a battery, and so I received no alert that the
> battery was low, and it just ran out of juice.

Did the battery indicator light (right beside the power light) turn
red before it shut down?  It's supposed to turn red when the battery
is below 10% power.  If it didn't, you might have a slightly confused
battery that doesn't quite know how charged it is.  This is somewhat
common with XOs, and there's a procedure to reset the batteries to get
them back to their full (~4 hour) life span.  See
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_LiFePO4_Recovery_Procedure> for more
information.

:)
Terry