Plymouth on ATI and nVidia

Aioanei Rares schaiba at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 16:34:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 14:52 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>
>>> First of all
>>> Nvidia does not work and so far and there is nothing that indicates it
>>> will work in the near future.
>>>

>> Truly a bummer! Given the large number of nVidia card users there are, I
>> would think this should be more of a priority. Please don't let this
>> turn into a philosophical discussion (aka a flame fest) on nVidia vs.
>> others. A lot of people use nVidia cards - we need to deal with that and
>> respond to the end user population accordingly...
>>

> Not philosophical. Just a matter of not having the source code to fix the
> proprietary drivers. However the reverse engineering effort can yield some
> results albeit in a delayed manner. Refer
>

> http://fedoramagazine.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/interview-fedora-10s-better-startup/
>
> Rahul
>

> --

If I append "vga=0x318" to my kernel options in menu.lst for example, i can
see the nice plymouth effects (GeForce 8500 GTS) So would it hurt if we
would add this option as the default in grub as a (temporary) workaround?
Are there cards that don't scale well with "vga=0x318" ?
--
Aioanei Rares
schaiba at fedoraproject.org