Wither Compiz on Rawhide

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski D.Mierzejewski at icm.edu.pl
Mon Sep 29 10:08:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:04:21PM -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> I changed to an Asus 3450 passively cooled video card
> (ATI chip) but Rawhide still won't do desktop effects.

Have you tried the radeonhd driver?

> Between ATI and Nvidia - isn't that most of the market?

Well, Intel has a sizeable share, too.

> Fedora needs a contemporary graphics solution for FC10
> that works with mainstream hardware.

Hardware manufacturers need to work with the FOSS community or at
least don't hinder us. Intel has done so, AMD/ATI has opened up
a lot of documentation and aided the open-source driver development.
Even VIA is - I think - in the process of doing that, too. That
leaves nVidia as the only graphics chip manufacturer that isn't
actively helping the FOSS community to develop an open-source driver
for their chips. You can complain to them and vote with your money.

My best bet for a 3D gfx card for Linux would be on AMD/ATI cards.
They're going to be the best supported in the long run, even if
nVidia seems the best choice with their proprietary driver right now.

Regards,
R.

--
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann*at*icm.edu.pl>  |  LAN  Staff
Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling