any impending news on video drivers for f12?

cornel panceac cpanceac at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:13:55 UTC 2009

2009/8/17 Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com>

> [...]
> > which hardware you use and the output of xrandr, whether you use kms
> > or not etc.
> > Because setting the correct video mode  should work using the radeon
> > driver, if not its a bug that should be fixed, but to fix it it has to
> > be reported.
>
> That's a necessary pre-condition for a solution, but he really raises
> the more broad question about mainstream hardware support in Fedora.
> Fedora isn't merely at the mercy of its upstreams, I know we have some
> hard-working folks doing ATI support, but given the size of the
> challenge, there is alot of hardware that's simply not supported or
> doesn't work right.  There's a tongue-in-cheek saying that OSS is the
> best software you can get for hardware that was made three years ago. ;)
>  I'm running the radeonhd driver on my desktop because radeon can't get
> resolutions right on my fairly pedestrian ATI card (yes, there's a bug
> filed!).  But there are nearly 300 problems currently reported against
> the radeon driver, about half as many on intel and about a third on
> nouveau.  All told, a Fedora user might experience one of five hundred
> different display failure modes using commonly available hardware, which
> is an experience problem (the value of experience as a separate matter).
>
> I understand some of the reasons - radeon and nouveau getting blown up
> for rewrites, KMS, etc., but the net-result of my desktop is that video
> is broken and sound is broken (the Pulse problems) - for lots of folks
> Fedora works great as a server but the desktop is tricky and/or broken
> to one degree or the other.  I live with it and try to help where I can,
> but one couldn't imagine selling Fedora 11 as a boxed good at a software
> store which is what some users want, and given the current state it
> doesn't seem like Redhat Desktop will be much better in its next rev.
>
> A while ago there was a linux PR effort saying "do you need a driver for
> your hardware?  We'll write it for free.  Please, just tell us how."
> About the same time ATI was saying it was opening all of its hardware
> (why I chose one over nVidia).  If it were that straightforward, though,
> there wouldn't be so much unsupported hardware, so I have to admit I
> don't really understand this specific situation, but there is the larger
> issue of things like abandoning the old Radeon driver  for the new in
> the distro and perhaps an opportunity to review criteria for similar
> future decisions.  It may be that Fedora just has to accept whatever
> xorg decides to do, but it is complicated.
>
> -Bill
>
> --
> Bill McGonigle, Owner
> BFC Computing, LLC
> http://bfccomputing.com/
> Telephone: +1.603.448.4440
> Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
> VCard: http://bfccomputing.com/vcard/bill.vcf
> Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle

as an outsider, what i feel is that those developers paid by redhat or novel
or ibm or intel, even if they are all good-hearted, have to do what their
employers say, or else they will no longer be paid. and all the signs show
that redhat and novell and intel and ibm, in the best case, don't care about
linux on the desktop. what do you think about this?

> --

Linux counter #213090