Fedora 12 Alpha RC1 - live iso would not boot properly as liveusb

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 15:03:12 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, August 18 2009, Mike Cloaked said:
> Mike Cloaked wrote:
> > Indeed - my experience confirms this - as when I reformatted the key I did
> > so to fat32, and then used unetbootin to place the files in this
> > partition.  The dd method did create an ext2 partition on the key I
> > believe.
>
> I had my fdisk -l output from when I looked at the key before reformatting
> it and the info was:
> Disk /dev/sdb: 4016 MB, 4016046080 bytes
> 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 3830 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xc8874664
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1   *           1         703      719872   83  Linux
>
> So from memory I think type 83 is ext3?  In that case it is not ideal to
> have a journalled filesystem on the usbkey so the dd method is not my
> filesystem preference, and I am now happier with a fat32 partition (for
> memory wear reasons)

Partition table type (the id in the output from fdisk) has zero bearing
*at all* on what filesystem is actually on there.  For filesystem type,
use '/sbin/blkid /dev/sdb1' and you'll get the fstype.

And ext3 (rather than ext2) is fine -- the problem with ext2 is that
blkid wasn't recognizing ext2 without the module loaded.  And it's been
fixed for post-alpha

Jeremy