Capturing methods to disable modesetting?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 16:54:33 UTC 2009

Greetings gang,

While testing a radeon driver issue, I had to disable modesetting to
help identify the scope of the problem.  Thankfully, all I had to do was
follow along in the steps posted to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems.

However, it seems that 'nomodeset' wasn't sufficient to disable
modesetting on my radeon x300 adapter.  After quick inspection, it seems
I needed to also provide "radeon.modeset=0".  There appear to be
additional driver-specific modesetting parameters (nouveau, i915,
radeonhd).

Is it worth updating the above wiki page to include these driver
specific tunables as well?

Thanks,
James