Capturing methods to disable modesetting?

Adam Williamson awilliam at
Thu Aug 20 17:06:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 12:54 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> Greetings gang,
> While testing a radeon driver issue, I had to disable modesetting to
> help identify the scope of the problem.  Thankfully, all I had to do was
> follow along in the steps posted to
> However, it seems that 'nomodeset' wasn't sufficient to disable
> modesetting on my radeon x300 adapter.  After quick inspection, it seems
> I needed to also provide "radeon.modeset=0".  There appear to be
> additional driver-specific modesetting parameters (nouveau, i915,
> radeonhd).
> Is it worth updating the above wiki page to include these driver
> specific tunables as well?

I believe this is actually a bug. nomodeset is supposed to be all you
need, but it's not working at present for some reason.

I think nomodeset is basically a no-op at present and just
'radeon.modeset=0' alone would do the job. I can't remember exactly what
it is that's causing nomodeset to fail.

If the bug's not going to be fixed soon, we should probably include this
information there too, yep.