Capturing methods to disable modesetting?

James Laska jlaska at
Fri Aug 21 12:38:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 23:31 +0200, Christoph Frieben wrote:
> 2009/8/20 Adam Williamson
>         I believe this is actually a bug. nomodeset is supposed to be
>         all you
>         need, but it's not working at present for some reason.
>         I think nomodeset is basically a no-op at present and just
>         'radeon.modeset=0' alone would do the job. I can't remember
>         exactly what
>         it is that's causing nomodeset to fail.
>         If the bug's not going to be fixed soon, we should probably
>         include this
>         information there too, yep.

Thanks for the bz.  I've requested adding this to the 'Common F12 bugs'
page [1] by adding keyword:CommonBugs.  I then took a stab at drafting
an entry for this issue at
Please feel free to review and adjust as needed.