Improving/defining test feedback channels

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 13:38:53 UTC 2009

Hey folks,

Thanks to our testers, we get a fair bit of the rawhide install test
reports from users on the list (sorry Antonio, using you as a model
tester ;) ).  I find these reports pretty valuable and they seem like a
good way to get folks engaged in public discussion on the list.  They
also generate bug reports ... which is a good thing [tm].

First, is the practice of documenting these tester feedback reports
documented anywhere?  This seems like a good thing to point people to if
they are interested in helping test rawhide (or a recent Fedora
milestone).  Second, I can't help but think maybe we can improve the
feedback process in general (long-term).

Some initial ideas (I don't think these are new ideas ... just looking
to brainstorm with the group):

     1. Simple ... add some wiki documentation to guide testers in
        providing a formal test summary.  This might include a sample
        template of things to look for (install completed, display
        corruption, etc...).  Along with handy pointers for how to debug
        problems and file quality bug reports.  This documentation can
        grow over time as the mechanism improves.
     2. More complex ... is there some way to gather feedback from
        testers in a more automated or simpler way?
              * Install testing ... can we provide an installation
                coverage matrix automatically from files submitted by
                testers?  What if testers who volunteered would submit
                kickstart files $somewhere for "processing"?  Could
                those files be used to provide aggregate data on what's
                been tested?
              * General feedback ... Smolt has already has a concept of
                allowing users to indicate what hardware
                works/doesn't_work/needed_adjustment.  It requires some
                knowledge of what PCI ID corresponds to what device ...
                so perhaps we'd need to step back to a higher level
                (does sound work, how's your video look)?

How do others feel, are there simple improvements to be made for
F-1[23]?  What about larger/longer project ideas to consider?

Thanks,
James