Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 26 20:56:46 UTC 2009

On 08/27/2009 02:18 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
>>> Congratulations, you've now installed TWO mtas on every livecd install.
>>> Happy?
>>
>> Nah. Once you add ssmtp to the core group, you can very well remove any
>> mta's from the base group. This will solve the original problem being
>> raised in the discussion as well.
>
> Except it changes the default for everyone to something with less
> functionality, which I'm fairly sure we don't want to do after feature
> freeze. Notably, ssmtp won't queue if you're offline, if I'm reading
> the docs right.)

If feature freeze is the only consideration preventing it from
happening, then queue it for Fedora 13. Less functionality is perfectly
fine unless there is a strong case that more of those features is
actually being used by a majority in order to satisfy the nominal
requirements of being a default package.

> (Honestly, if we're going to move an MTA from base to core, I'd suggest
> we should just do s/sendmail/postfix/, and let those who need less
> change it.)

My point is simply that most users in Fedora users are bound to use it
on a desktop and wouldn't need a MTA and we should let people just
install their mta of choice, be it exim, postfix or sendmail if they
really need one. On the other hand, even if do a more full featured mta,
I agree it is really high time we moved away from sendmail. SUSE, Ubuntu
and Mandriva? is using postfix and Debian is using exim.

Rahul