Rawhide: USB disks if NTFS are not mounted

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 13:39:54 UTC 2009

2009/2/1 Antonio M <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>:
> 2009/1/30 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:
>> Antonio M wrote:

>>> I connect my USB cable to my box and get a window stating:
>>>

>> Still to vague which DE are you using Gnome? KDE? XFCE? LXDE?
>>>
>>> Impossible to mount volume
>>> Impossible to mount "Philips_External_Hard_Disk"
>>> alternati filesystem not available..
>>>

>> What happens when you try to mount the ntfs usb drive from the command line
>> ( mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sd* /media/[folder] *)*
>>
>> Does that work?
>>
>>> Then I get a message:
>>>
>>> DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a
>>> reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
>>> reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
>>> timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
>>>
>>> rpm -qa  | grep ntfs
>>> ntfs-3g-1.5222-0.2.RC.fc11.i386
>>> ntfsprogs-2.0.0-9.fc10.i386
>>>

>> Install all available package encase they have split it and try again
>> ( yum -y install ntfs-3g-* ntfsprogs-* )
>>>
>>> I cannot supply any further info, I still think that something is
>>> broken (another cyclic bug)
>>>

>> Not unlikely this is rawhide after all..
>>
>> JBG
>>
>> --
>>
>  yes, but what is the component to be filed against?? (not ntfs-3g, as
> I reverted to a previous release and no improvement)
>

> --
> Antonio Montagnani
> Skype : antoniomontag

and I rebooted the machine and I gave  alook to fstab & mtab with no
external device attached:

#

tmpfs	/dev/shm	tmpfs	defaults	0	0
devpts	/dev/pts	devpts	gid=5,mode=620	0	0
sysfs	/sys	sysfs	defaults	0	0
proc	/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
/dev/dm-0	/	ext3	defaults	1	1
/dev/sda1	/boot	ext3	defaults	1	2
/dev/sdb1	/media/Philips_External_Hard_Disk	ntfs-3g	defaults,locale=it_IT.UTF-8	0	0
/dev/dm-1	swap	swap	defaults	0	0

mtab

/dev/dm-0 / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0
nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd nfsd rw 0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/antonio/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
rw,nosuid,nodev,user=antonio 0 0

now when I insert an USB stick I can't mount it and my system says
that it not possible to mount it as only root can mount /dev/sdb1 on
/media/Philips_External_Hard_Disk (taht is not connected)
An additional USB is mounted as sdc1

/dev/dm-0 / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0
nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd nfsd rw 0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/antonio/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
rw,nosuid,nodev,user=antonio 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /media/disk vfat
rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=500 0 0

Is gvfs-fuse the component to be filed against???
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag