Introduction: new community guy, and some discussion

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 04:29:04 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 22:01 -0500, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >  'it's a dumb idea, it's
> > Google, it's proprietary crap!'
>
> One of the mandates we've set for ourselves in the Fedora project is to
> always use Free / Open Source software.  This would include using Google
> Calendar for our scheduling.  There are some alternatives we could try
> getting setup within the Fedora infrastructure, I'm sure our group won't
> be the only one that would appreciate a calendar to share.

I did think about that (and generally speaking I don't like trusting
things to the Google tweakers). However I don't think it's a
hard-and-fast rule - I believe other stuff gets done through Google -
and frankly it felt like it would be a bad idea for me (or QA as a
group) to stick ourselves with the responsibility of running a groupware
server, which is pretty heavy-duty to stuff to a) get and b) keep
running. But yeah, if it's something other groups might be interested in
and there's an appropriate group who would be able to get it up and keep
it running smoothly, for sure that would be a cleaner option. Also I was
seeing it as being kind of an adjunct - I wasn't envisaging having it
replace, you know, mailing list announcements of meetings and so on,
just being there as a reminder for those who wanted it. So it wouldn't
be the case that you would *need* to use the Google Calendar if you
didn't want to, you could just track the dates however you wanted to, as
I guess everyone does at present.

> (the rest of your mail was a good read, welcome to the fire!)

Thanks! I'm feeling nice and toasty :)
--
adamw