Introduction: new community guy, and some discussion

Leam Hall leam at reuel.net
Thu Feb 5 10:46:19 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 23:29 -0500, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>  However I don't think it's a
>> hard-and-fast rule - I believe other stuff gets done through Google -
>
> We've actually turned down other google offerings, such as analytics and
> such.  What else did you think was going through google?  (Just
> curious)

Jesse, some of the Google idea blame lies with me. I pointed out the
existing calendar and was already looking at the Google apps for
different, non-Fedora, reasons.

To me the mission is "get the job done"; if we can do it on Fedora,
great! However, if it means the clients only run on Fedora, or are only
reliable in the US, or are only available in English, I'm not sure the
"Fedora only" decision puts us in sync with the mainstream community.

In my mind, we use google to communicate, analyze, and in general
provide cycles for us. I'd like to:

	Collaborate on a slide deck
	Calendar with folks on Outlook, Lotus Notes
	Share documents between teams
	Be available 24/7, worldwide
	Be available on port 80
	Spark new ideas on how to communicate
	Throw up a few quick pages that have nothing to do with Fedora
	Map our locations
	Share some pictures, if any of us are photogenic

If the Infrastructure team wants to work on any of this, let's use them!
Woo hoo! But if they're resource constrained, what then? Do you have a
contact person we could chat with?

BTW, I'll be visiting Adam, JLaska, and Will today, I think we're
heading for a slightly early lunch/bbq. Anyone else want to visit?

Leam