What is nepomukservices ?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 21:45:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 13:44 -0800, cromworshipper-fedorastuff at yahoo.com
wrote:

> But they still didn't answer the question that I wanted to know:
> Should I run it?  What's it good for?  What can I actually do with it
> today?  After 5 minutes of reading, I came to the conclusion, that
> whatever benefit it might bring in the future might be great, but I
> couldn't see it do anything except consume resources.
>
> I turned it off.

This is probably accurate.

I know a bit about Nepomuk because a lot of development is being done by
Mandriva, where I worked before. It's basically a big ambitious metadata
project for KDE 4, the intention being to use the metadata concept
throughout the KDE desktop for all sorts of things. At present it's at
that state where there's a lot of work done on the back end but very
little at the front end - I think you can use it for basic 'add a tag to
this file' and 'rate this file' in a couple of apps, but that's more or
less it.

It may have changed a bit in KDE 4, I haven't kept up to date with it,
but AFAIK that was the status as of 4.1. Do correct me if I'm wrong :)
--
adamw