Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 5 22:25:00 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> To blink or not to blink: that is the question;
> Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
> The slings and arrows of outrageous users,
> Or to take arms against a see of power drains.
> And by opposing end them?  To die: to sleep;
> No more: and by a sleep to say we suspend.
>
> Ok enough of that.  The Fedora project is proud to present the
> availability of Fedora 11 (Leonidas) Alpha.  Now is the time to test,
> now is the time to improve.
>
> The Alpha release provides the first opportunity for the wider community
> to become involved with testing Fedora 11 by way of Rawhide:
>
> Alpha represents a sanitized snapshot of rawhide, Fedora's development
> branch, which undergoes rapid changes before becoming the next major
> release.
>       * The Alpha should boot on the majority of systems, and provides:
>               * A look at what new features are to be included in the
>                 next release
>               * A way to provide feedback and bug reports to help ensure
>                 that the next release is as good as possible
>
> For information about what new and wonderful things Alpha brings us,
> please check out the release notes:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Alpha_release_notes
>
>  What to test

Any news on dom0 for xen?

  Windows Cross Compiler (mingw32-*)
Good news. Will this permit developing Windows applications (as opposed
to porting *x applications an writing portable applications)? Can one
create .msi files? These are next to essential for ease of deployment on
Windows.

   Btrfs File System

The Btrfs next-generation file system is an experimentally supported
option in this release. To enable it within the installer, pass
icantbelieveitsnotbtr at the installation boot prompt. The
This might have seemed quite good fun at the time, but trust me it's
going to become very tiresome very quickly for your users. Please, allow
"btrfs," nothing longer.

   X Server

The key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server has been
disabled by default. To get this behaviour back, add the the line

Option "DontZap" "false"

The time people find this has the wrong setting and that they need to
change it us when the GUI has frozen and control-alt-bs doesn't work.
They, they will assume it's just too frozen.

Please make this default to "true." False _might_ be okay in RHEL, but I
have my doubts even then. At least the audience is different and the
arguments for "false" a little stronger.

contrl-alt-backspace is way better than the reset button (if it exists)
or the power switch, and those are the next choices for the trapped user
or sysadmin.

--

Cheers
John