f11 alpha install failure

Robert Arendt rda at rincon.com
Thu Feb 5 22:57:30 UTC 2009

David L wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
>> On 2009/02/05 13:18 (GMT-0800) David L composed:
>>
>>> But last week, my old CRT monitor died and I replaced
>>> it with a new flat panel.  After that, the screen corruption
>>> came back.  That's why I was trying f11 to see if it would
>>> be any better.  So far, it's not looking good.  Each release
>>> since f6, the i810 driver has been worse for me.  :(
>> i810 became an alias for intel, I think over a year ago now. 845, 855 & 945
>> chips seem to be the most troublesome for the recent intel drivers.
>
> I have this chipset:
>
> (II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) 865G
> (--) intel(0): Chipset: "865G"
>
> and it has also been quite troublesome.
>
> I've successfully done a text mode installation, but the system hung
> after startx.  I got a bug buddy window with some corruption (I don't
> know what crashed) after X started and then nothing for several minutes.
> The mouse moved a corrupt little fedora wait icon around the screen,
> but there were no other signs of life.  I didn't check if I could ping or
> ssh into it.  I couldn't ctrl-alt-del to reboot and ctrl-alt-backspace didn't
> work (although I think I saw in the release notes that it doesn't do
> anything by default anymore).  In the end, I power cycled and booted
> back to the f10 partition (where there is still X corruption but no
> hangs).  I'm pretty sure the f11 hangs are graphics driver related.
>
>                   David

Yep - Still struggling with 845G myself  , Bugzilla 469292
You might try copying the xorg.conf file from your F10 install.
If that doesn't work, try adding
   Option "NoAccel" "True"
to the driver section.  Xorg may have hung and taken the keyboard
with it (Test: does the CapsLock light work when you toggle CapsLock?)
-Bob