Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 6 08:12:00 UTC 2009

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:22:25PM -0700, Shawn Badger wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org

> Hrrm, I would think in RH, they really better not do that.  If RHEL is
> aimed at sysadmins, they, of all people will NOT want this idiot
> proofing.   So I would respectfully disagree with Shawn's feeling that
> it might be OK in RH.  It most definitely will NOT.

In Shawn's defence, I said the answer might be different in RHEL. At
least, the argument will be different.

RHEL sysadmins are better placed to fix it, the (should) have the
knowledge, the wit to read the release notes and the ability to fix it
with a little sed in %post.

> Believe me, there's enough outcry among sysadmins about the gradual move
> of Fedora towards it being more Windows like all the time.
>
> I say that with respect to the developers, who are caught between the
> proverbial rock and hard place--more and more newcomers venture into
> Linux, and they make strenuous efforts to accomodate such newcomers, but
> in this case, such things continue to drive away those who have been
> RH/Fedora users for years.
>
> I base that not only on what I see on Fedora forums but various other
> technical lists and private correspondence with friends in the field.

Maybe we should contemplate switching to FreeBSD - that was pretty
unfriendly last I looked:-)

Seriously, friendly is fine, but stupid is not.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait