Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sat Feb 7 10:44:52 UTC 2009

> On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 16:01 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 07:32:05AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > [...]
> > > For information about what new and wonderful things Alpha brings us,
> > > please check out the release notes:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Alpha_release_notes
> >

> > >   X Server
> > >
> > > The key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server has been
> > > disabled by default. To get this behaviour back, add the the line
> > >
> > > Option "DontZap" "false"
> > >
> > > to the ServerFlags section in xorg.conf.
> >
> > Are you mad? Who decided on this change and what's the reason?
> > The ability to quickly kill an X session can be invaluable.
> > Please don't mess with the default setting.
>
> It's from upstream X.org, this *is* the new default setting. There was,
> I believe (though I wasn't there) a gigantic flamewar about it on one of
> the X development lists. If you want to debate the change it would be
> best to pull up that thread and contribute anything to it that hadn't
> been said already. It would be bad for the flamewar to spill out onto
> lots of different development lists for each distro and so on, because
> really the place to have the argument is X.org and it's going on there
> already :)

Actually, someone needs to disseminate that debate that happened and put
all the arguments for and against together, and then this needs to be
put into every where this new default is used, otherwise we're going to
have to wade through this debate over and over and over.

This really needs to be in the release notes (or a link to it in said
notes) so that people understand why.  After all, if this is such a
significant improvement that it's worth mentioning in the release notes,
the least we could have is a little explanation as to why (after all was
said and done) this is a better way of doing things.

And sadly, after all the debate I've read so far on the list, I still
haven't seen any real explanation about why this was done and why it is
better.

R.

 It's much better on my side"